Saturday, April 14, 2012

Blue Birds

This quilt was pieced by Julie Blazek.  The pattern is from Crabapple Hill.  She does incredible embroidery and I loved this quilt as soon as I saw it.  It's so pretty and all that white space....a perfect spot for feathers!
Here's a couple pictures of it while it was still on my table.  I knew I wanted to do these curly feathers.  These were done freehand and I filled in the outer area with echo quilting up to the scallop edge (drawn in). 
 Notice that I quilted right over the embroidery.  It is not much stitching and it keeps the border nice and flat.

A few more pictures of the embroidery and blocks follow.  I did not go thru the embroidery in the blocks because I wanted them to come forward.  The same idea for the 9-patch blocks - simple arcs were stitched in the background fabric, allowing the color fabrics to come forward. 
Corners and sides

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Love the scallops!

Creative Fiber Expressions said...

Breathtaking!!!!

Glady said...

You do beautiful quilting and I enjoy looking at your blog. Recently I was awarded the Liebster Blog Award for my blog and I have passed it on to you because I admire your blog. Please check out the award on my blog at http://gladysgab.blogspot.com/